joi, 5 iulie 2007

ENGLEZA - BRASOV 1999

I. A. Re-write each sentence so that it contains the the word in capitals and so that the meaning stays the same:
1) I didn’t enjoy my holiday at all. LEAST
2) I tried hard but I couldn’t undo the bottle. MIGHT
3) Two weeks passed before the letter arrived. DID
4) Please come this way and I’ll see if Mr. Frances is in. WILL
5) When did you last have a haircut? THE
6) I didn’t expect to see you here. LAST
7) Stupidly, I left my umbrella at home. WHICH
8) The decorators didn’t make too much mess. MANAGED
9) You could easily become quite ill unless you give up smoking. BECOMING
10) It’s pointless to worry about someone else’s problems. THERE

B. Re-write each sentence beginning as shown so that the meaning stays the same:
1. This matter is none of your business.
This matter does………
2. We’ll be at your house soon.
It won’t………
3. Someone broke into John’ flat last week.
John………
4. Please don’t turn on the radio.
I’d rather you …………
5. If you missed the first half you can’t really say understood the film.
Unless………
6. In the end I had to get a lift with a colleague.
What………
7. I have no idea who Sarah is going out with.
Who………
8. Did I tell you the news or not? I can’t remember.
I can’t……….
9. Does parking here cost anything?
Do I ………
10. I’m not going to tell you again.
This ………

C. Correct the mistakes in the following sentences. There is one mistake in each sentence:
1. He explained us all the directions minutely.
2. She told me he was lying and so he did.
3. A pack of sheep were scattered all over the field.
4. We knew you had to work hardly to win.
5. I passed the holidays wonderfully.
6. The bank will be closed until farther notice.
7. They asked each for the other’s help.
8. It is either a robin or a sparrow’s nest.
9. Nobody else wants to go, but me and you can go together.
10. I awoke up when the alarm clock rang.

D. Fill each of the blanks below with one word:
People have 1……… trying to find some way of dividing 2……… the year since very ancient times. But it proved to be 3 ……… difficult although 4……… first sight everything seems to be very simple.
We all know that a day is the time it 5……… the earth to spin once right round on its 6……… axis; and a year is the time it takes the 7……… earth to work 8……… round the Sun. But the trouble 9……… because the year cannot be divided into an exact number of days 10……… it actually takes 3651/4 days to make the 11……… circuit.
All the 12………peoples, the Egyptians, the Persians, and the Greeks, had their own 13……… calendars. 14…………, our present day calendar is based on one 15……… by a great astronomer, Sosigenes.

II. Translate into English:
Din clipa cand Vasile Baciu ii fagaduise tot, Ion fu cuprins de o a devarata betie de fericire si de incredere. Era atat de plin in sine insusi incat se gandea numai la pamanturile lui, planuia cum sa le munceasca mai bine, si habar nu mai avea nici de Vasile si mai ales de Ana. Doar cand ii pomenea numele cineva, isi ducea aminte ca si ea mai e pe lume, si se incrunta usor.
In schimb Ana nu se gandea decat la dansul. Uitate erau rusinea si bataile si suferintele. Ea nu stia nici de planuri nici de viclesuguri... Sufletul ei dornic de iubire astepta implinirea visului si gura ei soptea numele lui cu acceasi nerabdare placuta ca si noptile bune de odinioara.
De-abia acum intelese Ion ca impreuna cu pamantul trebuie sa primeasca si pe Ana si ca, fara ea, n-ar fi dobandit niciodata averea. Nu mai schimbase cu ea nici o vorba de cateva luni. I se parea o straina. O privea si se mira c-a putut el saruta si imbratisa pe fata aceasta uscata, cu ochii pierduti in cap de plans, cu obrajii galbejiti, cu pete cenusii, si care, impopotonata cum era astazi, parea si mai urata.

III. Read William Wordsworth's Ode to the Daffodils and comment on it. Write about one page.

Niciun comentariu:

Top  IPN  Romania Publicatii Mini-Top10 Promovare Gratuita Revista presei - Roportal Director One Director Web General Retete Culinare